G2. Emergy (Embodied Energy) Analysis
Program for Engineering, Agricultural Sciences, Economics and other students
Biofuels have been presented
as an important option for energy supply, notably
as renewable substitutes for fossil fuels. By many they are considered
a renewable and endless resource, since they are
produced from biomass, reputed as renewable. Besides,
it is a current believe that, by replacing oil products, their use
could reduce greenhouse gases emissions. Yet, there
are voices that point out that any biomass production and industrial
transformation requires the use of fossil fuel energy,
in the form of fertilizers, agrochemicals, machinery, and for inputs
and raw material transportation. Besides that, monoculture might
result in soil degradation, natural ecosystem destruction
and a competition among energy and food crops for arable
Embodied Energy Analysis (Emergy)
is being used to evaluate the energy requirements involved in the
production of biofuels. Main objectives of the
offered practical program is to assess the sustainability
of ethanol produced from sugarcane and
examine the environmental feasibility of a large-scale
production through the use of embodied energy analysis and
List of main tasks:
- Research existing biofuels (sugarcane) farming systems typical of south Florida and other production areas;
- Evaluate biofuels production systems, considering all the inputs necessary to drive a process;
- Quantify the needed inputs, such as nature’s contributions (water, soil, biodiversity, etc.) and the the human economy contributions (chemicals, machinery, fuel, etc.);
- Calculate and convert the input/output values of the ethanol
production in various functional units (e.g. 1 kg of sugarcane,
1 liter of ethanol, etc.);
- Assess the sustainability of ethanol produced from sugarcane;
- Examine the environmental and economical feasibility through
the use of Emergy Assessment;
- Create new and maintain existing related websites.
Not an applicant yet?!
Qualified and motivated students and young professionals have a chance here! Are you searching for a challenging program in fundraising area? Would you like to start your career in managing projects and daily affairs on sales and marketing of a graduate students’ organization? Then our program might be good match for you.
How do I learn more or apply?
Submit on-line application button at the bottom of this page.
I can't submit on line application. Can you help me?
If you face some technical difficulties, please download the Application form in Word, complete and email back to us with your CV and Cover Letter attached.