Agricultural Hydrology & Water Management Systems
Program for Engineering, Science, Hydrology,
Environment or Agriculture students
Florida was granted with fertile
soils and a plenty of lakes and rivers that made the "Sunshine
state" a traditionally agricultural region. For many years
these abundant natural resources were exploited. But now, in the
era of conservation, people finally recognize how limited these
resources are and seek ways to manage them in a sustainable manner.
Water quality degradation issues and water management systems improvements
in regional agricultural sustainable production are objectives of
this Intelligentsia's research.
This program includes serving as a field, lab and office assistant responsible for extensive networks of flow, water quality and weather monitoring stations, theirs maintenance and further improvements.
In wider perspectives, this is an effort to collect scientific data to support planning methods for meeting new, long-term water quality goals. We are therefore seeking strongly motivated students, willing to assist scientists and engineers, who are striving to explore and develop strategies to protect and enhance Florida's sensitive natural resources, while also sustaining economically viable and compatible agricultural industry.
List of main tasks:
- Get familiar with assigned research project objectives;
- Collect samples (water, soil, grass, etc.) during field trips, according to specified methodologies;
- Prepare collected samples for laboratory analysis;
- Review and document obtained lab results;
- Summarize all activities in field logs and data sheets;
- Identify potential quality control problems and develop new procedures for reducing them;
- Maintain field instruments in working condition;
- Do necessary repairs to the field equipment as needed;
- Suggest new functionality improvements to used instrumentation;
- Document all preventative maintenance and repairs.
What are the program main requirements?
We do not expect you to be an experienced employee or professional. What we do require is that you possess strong wish to learn new things related to your future career and our projects as well as to have some skills beyond your professional focus.
Do I necessarily need visa to participate in your program?
Yes, if you are a non-US student. However, keep in mind that you might be also coming under Visa Waiver Program, if you qualify for that. For details on this visa-free traveling option, refer to here.
When can I come?
Anytime, as our projects run all year round.
How do I apply?
Click the "Submit Online Application" button at the bottom of this page.
I have difficulties to submit online application. Can you help me?
If you face some technical difficulties, please download the Application form in Word, complete and email back to us with your CV and Cover Letter attached.